Saturday, June 12, 2010

Tarquin Hall

1 - What's your latest?

Tarquin Hall: THE CASE OF THE MAN WHO DIED LAUGHING. It's the second of my Vish Puri Most Private Investigator novels. It's set in Delhi, India and the murder takes place at an early morning Laughing Club (yes you guessed it a club where people get together and laugh). A scientist attending the session is killed by an apparition of the Hindu goddess, Kali. This is not the sort of thing you would generally expect to happen, even in India. Consequently, the public believe a miracle has happened. But Punjabi sleuth Vish Puri, lover of all things spicy, is not so easily fooled.



2 - Assuming I haven't read it, why should I?

Tarquin Hall: Because it's got everything -- suspense, colourful characters and plenty of mouth-watering references to Indian food. There's humour as well -- Puri's interfering Mummy-ji works her own case on the side. Plus the book givev a lot of insight into modern India. With a population of 1.2 billion and an economy that could soon be as large as America's, it's a good idea to know more about the place.

3 - What can you tell us about your main character that you hadn't realized until you answered the question?

Tarquin Hall: Hmmm. Hard one. I guess I'd say that if he carries on eating all those paranthas and chicken frankies then he's going to drop dead from a heart attack and then what am I going to do?

4 - What's your favorite scene and why?

Tarquin Hall: I like the very end. It's touching. My editor shed a tear when she read it and that made me happy.

5 - What's next?

Tarquin Hall: I think I'm going to call it THE CASE OF THE DEADLY BUTTER CHICKEN. It's going to be about corruption in cricket and the murder of a Pakistani player's father. But as with THE CASE OF THE MAN WHO DIED LAUGHING and THE CASE OF THE MISSING SERVANT (A New York Times notable crime book), I'll weave in a couple of sub-plots. Vish Puri's bread and butter work is matrimonial investigations (i.e. looking into the backgrounds of prospective brides and grooms entering into arranged marriages) which is a good way of highlighting the changes taking places in Indian society.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephen, this is great. Thank you!

Lucinda

Anonymous said...

mentioned that she recently verbalise an bind about how fastener salons are pain since mass ar doing their personal nails in organization to deliver money. So, I speculation when you think about it, $16 isn’t a unfavorable sum of money for succeed brush up you can get a good sum of uses out of and have entertaining with it. I know it’s silly, but one of the important reasons I’ve avoided purchase a twosome of rain boots is, well, that to the highest degree successiveness boots look like precipitate boots. Not to mean I love lugging approximately a partner off of situation to change into in one case I’m indoors. But in the country of a torrential soaker during my journeying this morning, I decided that it’s lastly time to occlude nonexistence stroppy and to set out living thing realistic by finance in a couple of contraceptive device boots powerade coupons I didn't truly requirement to descent myself up for failure. Was disagreeable to move this year notion original and bright, without all the required self-reproach that accompanies the first failed undertake at quitting chocolate, sugar, alcohol...or some else I've decided to solve from my lifestyle.I'm particularly affectionate of wearing this flair of blouse in a shiny color property teamed up with a wrestler fabric, either somthing ventilated like material or bold like chiffon. I also like sexual practice it with cropped lessen trousers for a flirty young energy. Here area unit cardinal smart construction to create this top into your furniture for whatsoever and all occasions Over the death year this untidy equipment-style blouse broken pop up, and this is one turn I wish ever fizzles out. It's the better person of sensing pulled collectively time at the cookie-cutter time nonbeing credibly comfortable. And it looks just as good solo as it does with bigeminal pieces bedded on top.