Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rhys Bowen

1 - What's your latest?

Rhys Bowen: THE LAST ILLUSION, the 9th Molly Murphy mystery. Molly witnesses a horrible illusion gone wrong, meets Houdini and is hired to find out who is trying to kill him.



2 - Assuming I haven't read it, why should I?

Rhys Bowen: All of my Molly Murphy books give a fascinating glimpse into life at the turn of the century. This one features Houdini, the world of illusionists and international espionage. It's a fast paced read. One review said, "You won't breathe until you've finished it."

3 - What can you tell us about your main character that you hadn't realized until you answered the question?

Rhys Bowen: I know my main character pretty well, after nine books. She is brave, headstrong, not always prudent, wants to be independent and make her own mark in society, which is not easy for a woman of her time, but also wants security and to be loved. Hence her constant dilemma.

4 - What's your favorite scene and why?

Rhys Bowen: I have to say I enjoyed writing about a lady really being sawn in half. Not that I am gruesome but I've been labeled a "oozy" writer for so long that it was fun to write a really shocking opening scene.

5 - What's next?

Rhys Bowen: I'm just finishing the next Molly book--set in New York's Chinatown. Again fascinating research. And my next Royal Spyness book, featuring Lady Georgiana, 34th in line to the throne but penniless, comes out in September. It's called ROYAL BLOOD.

No comments: