Friday, March 12, 2010

Lynne Heitman

1 - What's your latest?

Lynne Heitman:  My latest published work is "Exit Interview," which was included in the anthology Boston Noir, published last October by Akashic Books.




2 - Assuming I haven't read it, why should I?

Lynne Heitman:  Before Akashic asked for a submittal, I hadn't written a short story in over 10 years, not since a beginning writing class at the University of Washington. What I wrote then was definitely not for publication. I found novel writing soon after and that was the end of my short-story writing career. From that standpoint, "Exit Interview" is a departure. It's also my first published work in third person with a main character that is not Alex Shanahan. That might be why you the writer would be interested. You the reader might be interested in what one woman does after she gets passed over for a well-deserved promotion one too many times. She takes a particularly direct form of revenge against her insufferable boss, the downtown financial services firm they both work for, and the male gender in general.

3 - What can you tell us about your main character that you hadn't realized until you answered the question?

Lynne Heitman:  Sloan lives in a beautiful condo on Beacon Street with bay windows that look out over the Charles River and Cambridge, but she never opens the curtains.

4 - What's your favorite scene and why?

Lynne Heitman:  I had a fun time writing Sloan's rage and watching it explode all over the people who she believes did her wrong. I particularly liked writing the scene from her perspective where she killed her boss, and finding that one random detail that flipped her switch and turned a perfectly law-abiding(though tightly wound) woman into a murderer.

5 - What's next?

Lynne Heitman: Don't know. Maybe I'll try another short story.

No comments: