Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jane Haddam

1 - What's your latest?

Jane Haddam: WANTING SHELIA DEAD, which came out July 20.



2 - Assuming I haven't read it, why should I?

Jane Haddam: I have no idea how to answer a question like this.

3 - What can you tell us about your main character that you hadn't realized until you answered the question?

Jane Haddam: Nothing. I've been writing about Gregor Demarkian for twenty-five years. By now, I know more about him than I know about himself. But, you know, lately I've been thinking about how different he is from what he was when the series started, and how much older.

4 - What's your favorite scene and why?

Jane Haddam: Oh, good question.

There are two mysteries in this book, not connected except by the fact that Gregor Demarkian investigates them.

In the first one, it's the enormous cat fight among a group of girls who are all contestants on the same reality show.

In the second one, it's when the comatose body of one woman and the dazed but nominally conscious body of another are found together, and that second person starts to talk.

In both cases, I think I got the speaking right, if that makes sense. It's hard to do.

5 - What's next?

Jane Haddam: Another GD, which I'm finishing up now. It's due out about the same time next year.

No comments: