Saturday, July 03, 2010

Gregg Hurwitz

1 - What's your latest?

Gregg Hurwitz: THEY'RE WATCHING (July 2010)



2 - Assuming I haven't read it, why should I?

Gregg Hurwitz: I suppose that depends on who you are. If you're a thriller fan, you should read it because it's a Hitchcockian suspense story -- my homage to Rear Window. Patrick realizes that someone is filming him at private moments and delivering the unmarked DVDs to his house. His curiosity and outrage lead him on a mysterious and dangerous quest to find out what's behind it. If you tend toward character studies, it's the tale of a couple with their marriage on the rocks who are desperately trying to find their way back to each other. Now they must do so under the most intense pressure they've ever faced.

3 - What can you tell us about your main character that you hadn't realized until you answered the question?

Gregg Hurwitz: He is the only character I've written who is as curious as I am. And that leads him into great danger.

4 - What's your favorite scene and why?

Gregg Hurwitz: The book opens with Patrick finding a DVD someone has left of him entering his bathroom in the morning and washing up. He goes outside his house to the bathroom window to look for traces of the camera that filmed him. Nothing. When he gets home from work that day, there's ANOTHER DVD waiting. This one filmed from the neighbor's roof, showing him that morning outside his house, looking for traces of that camera that filmed the first DVD. His realization then -- that this is a chess game and a massive intrusion into his life -- is my favorite story beat.

5 - What's next?

Gregg Hurwitz: Coupla things. Working on my next thriller. I'm a writer-producer on ABC's V and we just revved up Season Two. I write comics for Marvel, and I'm participating in their big Shadowland Event. And a director just snapped up the film rights to THEY'RE WATCHING, which I'll be producing as a film.

No comments: