Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sara Paretsky

1 - What's your latest?

Sara Paretsky: BODY WORK.



2 - Assuming I haven't read it, why should I?

Sara Paretsky: Because the curse of many Pharoahs will fall on all who ignore this important book. Joking aside, people who love thrillers tend to like V I and have found this one of her most satisfying cases. At a nightclub in Chicago, a performance artist sits naked on a stage and lets the audience paint their fantasies on her. The performance attracts a wide range of spectators, including some Iraqi war Vets, Ukrainian mobsters, a young woman whose family has been dogged by tragedy -- and V I's young cousin, Petra. When a woman is murdered outside the club, V I is hired to find the killer, and her search uncovers a terrifying vein of corruption that stretches all the way from Baghdad's Green Zone to the South Side of Chicago.

3 - What can you tell us about your main character that you hadn't realized until you answered the question?

Sara Paretsky: Nothing.

4 - What's your favorite scene and why?

Sara Paretsky: V I is aging and no longer leaps tall buildings at a single bound, so some of the action scenes seem both funnier and more mellow to me than in previous books. I like her confrontation with the head of the Ukrainian mob where she's been beaten up and finds herself drifting off to sleep in the middle of his angry confrontation. I also like a scene where she feels she's leading a circus parade of dogs, cousins, Veterans, and old men when she needs to search for some missing documents.

5 - What's next?

Sara Paretsky: V I AND THE VAMPIRES.

No comments: